Sunday, August 22, 2010

Free Laptop, Chapter 1.

I'm securing the proper provisions to get started (at least, as many provisions I can think of right now).

Here's what I'm starting with:

- Dedicated e-mail.  Participating in these offers is going to involve signing my e-mail up to tons of spammer mailing lists.  No problem.  I've created a free g-mail account expressly for the purpose of accepting all of the spam to come.  We'll call it the spam cupboard, where all the spam will go until three years from now when we might want to eat it.  If you're like most people, you may already have two e-mails - one for spam and one for personal use.  Good. Next!



- Dedicated bank account.  I'll most likely have to subscribe to a few paid "services" and/or sign up for some semi-sketchy "free trial periods" in order to complete all of the "requirements" of earning my free gift.  Since there's no way I'm giving my "real" bank info to these people, I took advantage of Bank of the West's free iPod offer and opened up a new bank account specifically for dealing with these people.  That way, if they start getting shady with their hidden fees, I pull the plug on the account, they get none of DHM's dollars and my real bank never gets touched.



The Great Disappearing Bank Account foils another would-be web-based bank robber!





- Phone protection.  I'm pretty sure that as part of the fine print, I'll be required to add my phone number to various telemarketing lead lists.  No problem.  I've discovered a really handy app for my g1 that lets me "blacklist" any numbers that I don't want to receive calls or texts from.  You can find it in the Android Market from your phone by searching "Super Private Conversation" or you can get it here:





Find Super - Private Conversation on AppStoreHQ.
Android apps at AppStoreHQ

I just add whatever numbers I don't want to receive calls or texts from to the app's Blacklist, and those numbers are not able to call or text me.  Simple.  They aren't able to leave messages, and I'm not even bothered with any sort of alert when/if they attempt to text or call.  This thing is way more effective than any federal or state no-call list.  (As an alternative, a lot of people have a home phone line that they barely use and never answer.  That would work, too.)

OK, I'm all packed and ready to go.  Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment